Sometimes, coming up with questions to ask a girl you just met is hard work. Especially when you’re meeting someone new. Especially when that person has the potential to be your future partner.
According to Psychology Today, one of the (many) reasons starting those conversations is so hard is because of general anxiety, social anxiety, or approach anxiety. If you’re worried, anxious, or just afraid of rejection, it’s not a bad idea to have a list of questions to ask a girl you just met stored in the back of your mind. We’d recommend not pulling out a physical list, but having a few go-to questions that you’ve memorized.
Keep in mind that some of these will work best when you’re in person, and some will work best when you’re on a dating app or site. According to HuffPost, „the most successful openers, it turns out, are positive, thoughtful, creative and slightly personalized.“ So make sure you personalize the questions that speak to you!
Clever and cute questions to ask a girl you just met in real life
1. Have you ever been here before?
The cousin of „do you come here often,“ this is an obvious but easy ice breaker
2. What color is your dress? I see _____.Truly an ice-breaker and also a call-back to a simpler time on the internet.
3. How long have you two been friends?This question works best if she’s with a friend, of course!
4. Are you here after a long day?Again, use this with ease, but it implies that you’re interested in what she does for work.
5. Can you recommend something off the menu for me?
6. Do you like this song?Only works if music is playing!
7. Is that gin or vodka?If you’re in a bar setting and have the green light to chat with her, asking something as light and easy as „what are you drinking,“ but in a clever way, can be all you need to get her attention.
8. Can you do any impressions?
9. What’s the first joke you remember hearing?
10. Have you ever had really short hair?Alternatively, if her hair is short, ask if her hair has ever been really long. If she’s into the question, maybe she’ll show you old pics from her Facebook feed.
11. How do you like your martini?You can substitute whatever she’s drinking for the word „martini.“
12. How do you like your coffee?If you’re talking to her in a non-bar setting, coffee is a better route.
13. Do you have a signature dance move? If so, will you teach me?
Clever and cute questions to ask a girl you just met on an app
14. What’s the most fulfilling thing about your job?
15. What is your favorite way to relax?
16. If you had a whole day to do anything, what would you do?
17. If you were the expert in one thing, what would it be?
18. What’s your ideal retirement style?
19. If you could only eat one type of food for the rest of your life, what would you eat?
20. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve seen happen to someone?
21. When was the last time you took a long flight?
22. Have you ever sent back a glass of wine?
23. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
24. Do you avoid walking under ladders because of superstition?
25. What’s the biggest fail you’ve had in the kitchen?
26. What would you like to be reincarnated as?
27. Have you ever thought a fictional creature was real?
28. What’s the last great book you read?
Quick clever and cute questions to ask a girl you just met anywhere
29. Coffee or tea?
30. Brunch or breakfast?
31. Morning person or night person or day person?
32. Cat, dog, or fish person?
33. Snow, rain, or shine?
34. Star Wars or Star Trek?
35. Christmas or Thanksgiving?
36. Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?
37. Hamburger or hot dog?
38. Vegan or vegetarian or carnivore?
39. Bath or shower?
40. Triscuits or Wheat Thins?
41. Chocolate or caramel?
42. Movie theaters or at-home viewing?
43. Netflix or Hulu?
44. Books or movies?
45. Phone call, video call, or text message?
46. Sleeping late or rising early?
47. Twitter or Instagram?
48. Hot vacation or cold vacation?
49. Dress up or dress down date night?
50. Will you go out with me?
Okay, okay, so the last one is maybe not clever or cute, but you have to get there eventually! Talking to a girl you just met can be intimidating, but don’t let it deter you. If she wants to talk to you, feel free to pick one or two of these questions and get to chatting!